Sunday, May 7

Strange Conversations

My foray into the world of blogging has generated some interesting conversations between my husband and I. The most recent was yesterday.

DH: All the yarn is green.
Me: Yes, that's this month's color.
DH: You are sending a box full of green yarn and stuff?
Me: Yes, and I'll be receiving a box full of green stuff. That's the way the swap works.
DH: I'm jealous. Nobody ever sends me a box of green stuff.

Then there was the conversation about Stitches Midwest.

Me: I'm going to meet Marji at the Stitches convention.
DH: Is that your friend from high school?
Me: No, that's Meri. Marji is a blogger. I've haven't met her in person.
DH: You plan on meeting a total stranger?
Me: It's the same as you meeting "strangers" for fishing trips.
DH: That's different. They are friends of friends and it's fishing!
Me: Yes, you are right. Agreeing to meet unknown persons in the middle of the woods for fishing is much safer than agreeing to meet them in a crowded convention center. I really should be careful of anyone who has a passion for sticks and strings.
DH: Exactly!

How about the times I try to help him keep all of my new friends straight? I sound like I'm describing a soap opera plot.

Me: Donni's going to shave her head to raise money for cancer research.
DH: She's the one in Australia you sent the scarf too, right?
Me: No that's Sharon.
DH: I thought Sharon was the one in Canada?
Me: Are you thinking of Sarah - my SP spoilee or Peggy - my scarf maker?
DH: I thought your SP partner was from Georgia?
Me: That's Lisa. She was my SP spoiler.
DH: Oh. So Donni's shaving her head?

All of this has made me very aware of how many doors I have been given the chance to open to discover new ideas, places, and friends. It wasn't very long ago that I felt very alone in my passion for knitting. I knew people that knit but for them it was a way to pass time when nothing more pressing was happening. Not that every blogger I have come across knits. However, the fact that we choose to publicly talk about our knitting, sewing, or other crafts indicates a passion that I can't find in my immediate circle of local friends.

I'm very blessed that I have been given the chance to carry on strange conversations with my husband.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have these conversations all the time with DH. He tries valiantly to keep up and now after 6 years with one of my online groups (and a real life get together across the country), he is having an easier time of it :)

5/07/2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Mylerna said...

My hubby stopped trying to keep up lol...

Glad to see you signed up for SP8 :)

5/07/2006 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so those conversations are hilarious. I never seem to remember actual conversations like the ones you describe. Other conversations go through my head - but not the funny ones. No, I'm not schizophrenic.

5/07/2006 7:41 PM  
Blogger the stripey tiger said...

Love it! That conversation sounds just like ones me and JT have. (although he isnt jelous of the yarn) But I do rave on about other bloggers as though they were part of my immediate social circle and I suppose and a 2006 kind of way you are!

5/08/2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger Shan said...

The is the same conversation I have with D ... I've given up trying to explain who everyone is, I just say friends, lol.

5/09/2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Hee hee.

Thanks for the compliments on the sock bags. If you want to swap for one, email me.

5/09/2006 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute Hubby! *L*

My Sweetie has asked me for a map of all my friends, with their names and the facts about them so he can follow along.

5/10/2006 10:48 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

Those are hilarious. Your husband sounds very patient and good-natured. And, yeah, if I were him I'd be more worried about meeting fishers in the woods!

5/10/2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heehee - ditto! your package arrived today - thank you so very much! I'll be posting my photos and blogging about it soon - I love everything! And it smelled so good too! Your package will be at the post office on Friday - you should have it by Monday or Tuesday! My hubby says the same things - you get the coolest packages!

5/10/2006 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I have these conversations too!! No-one can actually keep straight who or what I am talking about. I have to preface everything with - My Knitting Secret Pal..... or The Knitting Coven ....... And I can't believe how many lovely people I have 'met' either!!!

5/12/2006 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home