Tuesday, April 18

Old Dog, New Tricks


Lace homework for week 5 is half done. I need to complete a lace swatch sample. However, the mini-Estonian scarf assignment is lõpetatud, viimistletud, täiuslik, finished.

No starch this week. Seriously, you don't think I'd starch a scarf?

After class, I was complaining commenting about all the swatches we have to chart and knit. My teacher explained patiently for the gazillionth time that the swatches are for reference. Example: How does a SSK before a yarnover look different than a yarnover before a SSK? She also nicely pointed out for the millionth time that it is easier to learn a pattern on one or two multiples of 20 stitches instead of casting on 400 stitches and learning as you go.

I thought about this as I drove home. By the time I reached my street, the light had reached full wattage over my head. This class is to teach me how to design my own lace. The goal isn't to eliminate the need for swatching, but rather to eliminate the dependence on someone else's pattern.

In order to prove that I can change my ways, I have started a "gray scale" swatch with Donni's lace. Gray scales are swatches with a gradual increase of needle size. A helpful tool in deciding what would look best for the pattern.



Who says I can't learn new tricks?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way your teacher thinks - you sure she doesn't do classes over here?

4/18/2006 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!! That is so cool. :D I'm glad you were able to learn something new for the big picture of knitting.

I wish I had classes in my area at decent times. Sounds like you are getting a lot of of it.

4/19/2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger the stripey tiger said...

I'd love to do that class. Even with the homework. You are learning heaps! ;-)

4/20/2006 5:06 AM  
Blogger Mylerna said...

Sounds very neat and the knitting looks great!

4/21/2006 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home