Thursday, April 20

The First Step...

...is admitting you have a problem.

Blame it on my need to horde sock yarn, or the yellow-orange month of April. In my entire knitting career, I have completed only one pair of socks, and barely started a second pair. However, that doesn't seem to stop me from acquiring more of the stuff to make knitted socks.



The store that offers my lace class, has various fibers aptly named Heritage Handpaints. Last week, I added the Harvest colorway to my collection. I have three others of their Oxford line - River Rouge, Up North, and Lake Charlevoix. I'm halfway to a full set. I'm only missing Lighthouse Road, Trout, and Gray Skies.

I think my addiction for Oxford stems, in part atleast, from the Michigan-ness of the yarn. It is locally made and has no online distributor. The different types of fiber (ie: wool/nylon sock, wool/silk lace, superwash wool) are named for towns that employees live in - Oxford, Bloomfield, Lake Orion. The colorways are named for various Michigan traits.

Yeah, that sounds good. I'm not addicted to sock yarn. I'm addicted to Michigan colors.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

I love the color names, and the orange one in the photo looks lovely. Go ahead and get the full set!

4/20/2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

oh me tooo. and I don't even knit socks. Loved that River Rouge too, although I cannot imagine for the life of me why anyone would name a beautiful yarn for River Rouge!
I'm considering us on for Stitches Midwest.

4/21/2006 5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home