Thursday, January 26

What to do?

Yesterday, Marji commented in her post about the stress of too many projects at once. I've been avoiding my knitting room and I think she may have hit upon the cause. Every time I have to get something from that room, I am reminded of the 6 sweaters, 1 felted bag, 1 baby blanket, 2 scarves, 1 shawl, 1 hat, 1 mitten and 1 sock that are all vying for my attention. These are just the ones that haven't been permanently banished half-done or are still mere skeins waiting their turn.

Now double digit quantities of in progress projects is normal for me. I knit for the challenge. I start something because I can't quite see how A leads to B leads to the finished item in the picture. Once I get it, somewhere between casting on and binding off, I lose momentum. I'm ok with that. Some time later, often many days weeks months later, I may finally finish what I started. If I don't I'm ok with that too. It wasn't meant to be and the yarn eventually makes its way to something else. But, lately I've been feeling this HUGE pressure to finish something, anything.

I believe what tipped my sanity over the edge is lace. Yes, lace. I've never knit lace. The concept doesn't seem difficult. Any lace pattern I've seen involves stitches I've used. Nothing dramatic about a few k2tog's, or yo's. However, I've seen lace being blocked - not easy. I've also seen lace blocked badly - not pretty.

So, I signed up for a lace class. Did I mention this class is 5 months long? No. Did I mention that this class has homework? Oh, forgot that too. I already have assignments and the first session isn't until February. The stress started when I realized that I would need to pull four projects off their needles to do the homework or buy more needles. We knitters know that needles aren't cheap things growing on trees. Then again, we also know that pulling a project off needles isn't a casual act either.

I could go for option C - finish them and free the needles. However, it wouldn't be a fun finish. I'd be knitting to get it done, not for the pleasure of seeing the item grow or take shape. For now, like a deer caught in headlights, I'm opting for D-do nothing and hope for the best. Might happen if I could get my magic needle case to work.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marji said...

In the interest of relieving some of the pressure, not to mention avoiding those lines created by yarn wrapped around a needle too long in one place,
Transfer those projects that are in a holding pattern to a length of cotton or linen yarn. Loosely tie off the cotton string/yarn together so that your work doesnt' slide off the 'stitch holder' then when you are ready to work on it again, simply slide the work back onto the needle. (Make a note and pin it to the work to remember which needle to slide it back onto)

Voila, free needles.

1/28/2006 10:10 AM  

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home