Monday, January 23

This little piggy...

Remember that nursery rhyme, the one about the pigs going to market? For some reason that is stuck in my head as I am knitting my first sock. I'm extremely proud of myself for starting this little adventure. I haven't had a challenging knit in some time. This sock has filled that void.

The status is that I've made it past the cuff and started the 4-stitch pattern I chose from Sensational Knitted Socks. At this point, mild panic has begun to set in. Just mild, nothing that requires heavy medication or large quantities of whiskey. Only the mild panic that comes from self-doubt.

I purchased SKS because it accommodates different yarn weights and gauges. It works like a buffet dinner. Choose your options and get a sock. However, it doesn't cover the obvious things. Things that aren't so obvious to a person who hasn't knit a sock. Such as how long should I knit the leg? Which heel gusset is best? I am, of course, ignoring the possibility that the obvious is obvious to everyone. It's just me that doesn't get it. I knew this when I bought it and figured Google would be my new best friend for sock answers.

As I am debating the benefits of chamomile tea vs rum cokes for calming my nerves, the doorbell rings. Woo Hoo, look what the mail brought to me. I've already poured over the pages about techniques and each of the patterns. My awesome secret pal has made everything ok again. I've found the sock I'm going to use for reference in length and construction. Deep relaxed breathing has been restored.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad it arrived - I can't tell from the pic; did the stitchmarker get there? It was in a white bag inside the book.

Your pal

1/23/2006 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PST Jae - I can't tell you how I know, but your ISE Pals scarf arrived....you know she is, ahem, not around, and far be it from me to spill the beans before she, ahem, gets back, but it's here. In Oz! Just wanted to let you know!

1/24/2006 6:15 AM  
Blogger Jae said...

Thanks for letting me know that the scarf arrived safely. Glad that someone is keeping an eye on it for her.

1/24/2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

oh how cool is that, you have a secret pal in Oz.
can't wait to see how the socks turn out. You know, I"ve had no intention of ever knitting socks, but as you talk about BYOB's I'm htinking, socks are about the only thing I could make my dads wife - who wears socks everyday whether they're on the Lake in Pentwater MI or down in thier winter house in FL. Wonder about that handpainted yarn you got in Lake Orion, do you htink that would work for socks?

1/25/2006 1:02 PM  

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home