Saturday, January 14

Secrets Are Fun

My blogging started with Yarn Harlot. That led to Too Much Wool. That led me to another blog, and then another, and another, and so on. That led me to start expressing my own knitting life. Along the way, I have discovered I really love secret exchanges. Currently I am participating in the ISE and SP7 exchanges.

For the ISE, I feel this pressure to knit a "perfect" scarf. The pressure is strictly self applied. I have knit gifts for others, but always non-knitters. There was no worry about mis-crossed cables, accidental yarn overs, or the occasional dropped stitch. Only my eye would ever notice the imperfections of my knitting. Not so with the ISE recipient. She knits, too. She knows all about mis-crossed cables, accidental yarn overs, and the occasional dropped stitch. So in addition to the normal doubts about color, fiber, and pattern, there is the doubt about the quality of my knitted work.

BUT... she also knows the true value of my scarf. I know that however my choice of colors or pattern is received, there is no doubt that it will be received with a full understanding of the time, the process, and the effort that went into it.

Also, my previous best is not enough. I have raised my expectations about my work and am holding it to a higher standard. A standard I hope to continue regardless of the next giftee's choice of hobbies or passions. I have a greater sense of pride about every stitch I am forming.

Then there is the Secret Pal exchange, my first. So. Much. Fun. I think most knitters suffer from being generous to a fault are of giving nature. I have found so many things that might work as little gifts for my palee, I have to restrain myself from shipping them off all at once. Plus, there is the bonus satisfaction of responding to my husband's sarcastic "More yarn stuff??" with "not for me, for my pal". Hee-Hee

I am excited about meeting two people I may otherwise have never met. My pal seems to be full of humor and kindness. She didn't waste one second in letting me know she had my name. And my palee is impressive. She is the mother of many and in the process of finding a way to work from home. Some days I can barely remember to feed and water my two cats.

Yup, for sure, secrets are fun!!

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home