Sunday, January 22

Breaking news...

...I have started my first sock! I can't believe how small the stitches are. They are really, really tiny. When you view a persons sock on their blog, the stitches look waaaayyyyy bigger. I think they should put warning labels on those pics - "objects may appear larger than real life".

The yarn is Koigu and I am using 2.75mm needles. The gauge I am aiming for is 7 stitches/inch. I have seriously underestimated what 7 stitches/inch looks like, but it does seem to go quickly. I suppose it will when you only need 64 stitches around.

Maintaining gauge will be difficult for me. I am a loose knitter and have always struggled when I need to use needles smaller than US6. And for those who have knitted socks, how do you check gauge? It's hard to lay flat to check. I don't usually swatch for swatches sake. Instead I would cast on a sleeve for sweater gauges. If you are right, you've already started the project. If you are wrong, you haven't invested in a whole front or back. I can't check by fitting them as my mom's measurements are an inch larger than mine.

I can't show more than what you see below, because the socks are a birthday gift for my mom. Her birthday is close to Christmas and this time I offered her choices for knitwear. I don't want to spoil the surprise by giving too much detail before she gets them.

Also, I finally got off to a good and final start for the BYOB scarf. I am now a full 5 inches into it. I love the way the colors are changing as I knit. No obvious stripes or pooling. Of course, now I've probably jinxed it. Hee Hee.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

You can't go wrong with Koigu! I feel like socks take longer than you think they should, but still not too long. Have fun!

1/22/2006 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll do great! I love the color you have chosen.

Your Pal

1/22/2006 11:44 PM  

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home