Saturday, November 4

Another Good Idea Gone Bad

My LYS owner convinced me, way back when, that I should handpaint my peacock shawl. It took some time - me to make the swatches, the store to make the "goop". Today we tested our theory.




There was soaking.






There was mixing.





There was painting.



We didn't strive for perfect colors. Our quest was really to determine if the idea was practical. We quickly came to the conclusion - not so much. Our new plan is to find a color I like as an overall base for the shawl. Dye the shawl in a traditional manner and then handpaint only a few key areas.

There might also have been some stash enhancement as I waited for the swatches to soak. It's a new Heritage Handpaint colorway - Nighthawk. The yarn is Bloomfield, a 50/50 silk wool blend.

3 Comments:

Blogger AR said...

Mmmm. Nice stash enhancement. I've been wondering about doing that to a felted bag. Painting later, I mean.

11/05/2006 3:42 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

ay yi yi, stash enhancement with Bloomfield no less! Love that yarn. (isn't that what I bought in the Luna moth color? -that green that is almost translucent)?
so glad you figured out the dye thing.

11/06/2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

What an interesting experiment! I think it would have to be base dyed, then super-saturated and drip-dyed in the accents to allow the melding as the colors bleed together slightly. Now you got me thinking ;)

I could also suggest dyeing the finished shawl in one peacock shade and value, and then over dying in another. Hints of your under color will show through giving some great nuances. Works especially well with high sheen fibers. All fun stuff :)

11/08/2006 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home