Tuesday, October 10

Hit By a Train

Have you ever been blissfully knitting along on a thousand projects your project d'jour? You spy a calendar and realize with sudden dawning horror that the months weeks you thought you had left to finish a gift knit is now mere days away? I'm referring to this...



Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Pattern: Alphabet Blanket by Debbie Bliss

I started it over a year ago for my brother's first child to be. At the time - no child on the way, no driving force to complete it. Somehow the very real knowledge that said first child is set to arrive the first few days of December did not compute. Nor the very real baby shower being held in less than two weeks did not create a sudden urge to finish. The fantasy world I live in amazes me sometimes. That was until I realized it was October, the same October as the shower. I'm doomed and a few other more choice phrases immediately popped to mind.

I managed to make some real progress. I would have a more recent photo to show my progress, but I couldn't afford the time. There is a deadline looming. I have to have this in the mail a week from today. Sacrifices had to be made.

I was seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I was all the way to the first six letters of the alphabet. Until last night. When I discovered that I had spelled K and L incorrectly. I never thought a few missing yarn overs could cause such agony. Thirty rows ripped back. Six letters became twelve.

I should have turned the volume up. The light was from an oncoming train.

14 Comments:

Blogger metal and knit said...

I know the feeling hence why I have now said no more of these things and well just go with the flow if I have nothing done to offer well bad luck. Hope you get it completed with some breathing room.

10/10/2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Yeah, I've done the same thing. Hope you get it done in time!

10/10/2006 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you can always pull a Julia and knit just a hat, booties (and or kimono) and then work on the blanket until the birth!!!

10/10/2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

I'm with Juls, take the pressure off and knit a cutie-pie hat, (or better yet, buy a onesie) then get the blanket done for the baby gift.

10/10/2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Oh no! Have you ripped already? Can you drop down and fix stuff with a crochet hook?

Good luck!

10/10/2006 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words of wisdom spoken by those that come before me.

10/10/2006 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That seals it.... I drive, you knit!

10/10/2006 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate that. Someone just said on the radio it is about 75 days till Christmas and I think I will need a Bex and a good lie down now!! The blanket is beautiful!!! Knit fast!!!

10/10/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger StudioBlue said...

You can do it! or if not..... it'll make a great baby's first Christmas present! good luck!

10/11/2006 1:09 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

Looks like an adorable blanket. I always work better under pressure, myself. Good lukc!

10/11/2006 8:22 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

That bites but it looks nice. Good luck!

10/11/2006 5:33 PM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I say you whip up a hat and some booties and a lovely purchased gift. Then give the beautiful blanket as a christmas gift or baby blessing/christening gift. That should buy you a couple extra weeks.

Besides, so what if a couple of letters are incorrect, it's not like the baby can read for the first year or so - in fact, from personal experience, my kids tended to write their letters backwards for quite some time before learning the correct way.

10/11/2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Good luck! I hope you finish it in time. It looks great! What a lucky baby.

10/11/2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

Hi sweetie ! I'm sure you'll have finished it in time !! Great hugs ! PS I have a new blog :)

10/12/2006 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home