Wednesday, October 18

Agony of Defeat

Every year ABC's Wide World of Sports would change the image for Thrill of Victory. Agony of Defeat, however, was always the same image of Vinko Bogataj failing to make the ski jump. You can watch the video here. Sometimes defeat arrives so brutally that it can never be outdone from that moment forward.

Such is my battle to finish the blanket. I was slow to recognize defeat. I did math. It seemed to lean in my favor. Afterall, doesn't this seem like speed demon progress to you?

(24 rows x 187 stitches + 12 increases + 30 stitches over the 12 increases) / (4.5 hours x 60 minutes - 30 minutes for dinner - 15 minutes for tv channel surfing) = 20 stitches per minute

If the math has made your head hurt, lie down for awhile and hold a skein of alpaca across your brow. The dizziness will pass. Ask me how I know.

Now, I realize that I could have gotten something not quite right in my equation. I didn't exactly set out a stopwatch to measure the time I spent knitting. Even still at 15 or 10 stitches a minute, victory should have been mine. I still had two days left, if I took extreme measures for posting it in the mail.

I forgot to do the OTHER math. You know, this equation. . .

(1 side + 12 rows x 187 stitches) + (2 sides x 12 rows x 227 stitches) + (3 corners x (12 increases + 30 stitches over the 12 increases)) + the triangles. I'll wait if you need another lie down with the alpaca.

110 triangles knit entralac style all around the edge. The seemingly innocent, small, easy to knit triangles. The triangles that require a lot, an absurdly huge amount, 56 stitches to bind off eight of the original.

It was about the tenth or eleventh triangle that I realized defeat was inevitable.

I'm off to knit a scarf or a hat or something small that requires only one skein of yarn. With big needles. US19's sound good. And bulky wool. I've got some Burly Spun in the stash. All knit stitches. Good old reliable garter stitch.

Instant gratification on the rocks, please.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Jae...
Such a valiant effort.
So are you going to go with the 'one letter in the box' presentation method?
And if you're looking for something else to take your mind off it,"Red Lace Socks" !!!!!!
M-J

10/19/2006 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to read your post - they always bring a smile to my face. The way you personify things is just great! And yes, I had to go find alpaca and lay it over my head to recover from the equations! I'm sorry your blanket is frustrating you, a good big bulky scarf will make you feel better and keep you warm! On another note - the blanket looked great, I'm not sure if I made a comment on the last post but it looks wonderful!

10/19/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Yeah, I think I need to go find a skein of alpaca now.

10/20/2006 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, you know it will be the most wonderful scarf though won't it!

10/21/2006 1:54 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

OMG, she's going to go knit with Juice Cans! ;)

10/23/2006 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home