Monday, August 14

This Little Knitter Went to Stitches

I'm home! It was so much fun and I still haven't taken it all in yet. There was a great deal to see and to learn. A presentation on the new book that XRX will have available this November, Victorian Lace, has me on the edge of my seat. I cannot wait for this to hit bookshelves and yarn stores. I'm still absorbing the knowledge I gained from my technical classes with Jean Frost, Lily Chin, and Sally Mellville. I'm really not sure where to even start with all that I walked away with from their classes.

I took classes every day of the conference and learned a lot. For example, I now knot that I am not nor will I be a spinner. I made a perfect bulky thick n' thin yarn during my drop spindle class. However, I am content to buy my yarn from now on. I'd rather be knitting than spinning. My technical classes have given me a great deal of confidence to design a sweater from scratch instead of following ones in magazines. Although, I've got so many ideas that I think it will take a few days to let the noise settle down and allow me to start.

More importantly I got to meet Marji and Kim. They are even better in person than in blog. Which is saying a lot because they blog well. Warm, generous, funny, smart ... I could go on and on. I didn't stop laughing for most of the weekend. They made a good time great! Again, this is a wonderful benefit of blogging. I'm sure Marji will post some pictures when she has a moment to do so. I'd post mine, but I thought I'd save you the headache caused by squinting at the blurriness.

They also have a good sense in when to enable and when to stop me from disaster (like when I momentarily forgot that I am not nor will I be a spinner and thus didn't need several ounces of roving). Very handy friends to have around in a market full of wool, silk, roving, buttons, lace, and the like.

I think I was very restrained compared to some of the suitcases I saw leaving the market area. For patterns, I came home with several lace shawl and jacket patterns, the book A Gathering of Lace that I have been wanting to get my hands on, and Knitting with Hand Dyed Yarns that was a gift from the organizers of the conference. The fiber from top left is 20 cashmere/80 silk laceweight, koigu PPPM (click here for closeup), Schaefer Andrea silk (click here), and 3000+ yards of laceweight merino wool. I definitely enhanced my lace stash.

I am still unpacking and sorting everything into it's new home. It's good to be back, but I'm looking forward to doing it again next year!

14 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Fun! Nice haul.

8/14/2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Wow, sounds like a good time. Can't wait to see how all the projects progress!

8/14/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Koigu so pretty! I have to wait until November for Stitches East!

Jo

8/14/2006 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum! I'm so jealous!

8/14/2006 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the same: I daren't ever even consider spinning as I love knitting so much and I don't want to divide my attention!!
Very nice wool!! Just enought to feel replete!!

8/14/2006 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh - silk, oooohhh Koigu, oooohhh Marji. You know I am wishing I was there....One day. At least I know what you look like now!

8/14/2006 7:56 PM  
Blogger Spinner said...

Wow - sounds like a great weekend! Good to have friends who stop you from making unnecessary purchases :P Happy knitting!

8/14/2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger metal and knit said...

Gee you market beats our guilds retail stalls we get for a wisp of 2 or 3 stalls.

have you had vegemite toast yet?

8/15/2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Ruby Girl said...

Sounds like you had a great time there Jae. The books look good and the yarn is beautiful.

I googled this morning and found the link to the Clapotis hat pattern, I have linked it in the post about the Clapotis hat.

8/15/2006 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh... ahhh.. cashmere/silk laceweight looks dreamy! Who am I kidding.... it all looks dreamy! Sounds like you had fun!!

8/15/2006 10:44 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

Thanks a million times over Jae for meeting me there and making Stitches the over-the-top fun event it was because you and Kim were there.
I've already whipped up 1/2 the front on Eliz with that Polwarth!

8/16/2006 8:24 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I was wondering what shade of Schaefer Andrea that is...it's just gorgeous!

8/16/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Shan said...

I'm so glad you had such a nice time! Welcome home!

8/16/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger knitabulous said...

That Victorian Lace book, I can't wait CAN'T WAIT!!! I think I must pre order I am so impatient for it.

8/17/2006 1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home