Monday, August 7

Call It What You Want

"Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one." - Jane Howard

The biggest surprises are the ones you do not expect. They aren't always good, I'll admit. But they are always big, in emotion, if not physical size.

A while back I was invited to be part of a Tribe. A tribe of wonderful, creative, thoughtful women. I accepted. I was humble and grateful to be included. Some of these women have continuously amazed me with their kindness towards me and others. Others I met for the first time and am so glad to have gotten to know them.

Many of them live on the other side of the equator in Australia. My husband spent many years there working in hotel & restaurant management in Sydney. Occasionally something would pop up on the TV or in the papers that would prompt an Ozzie story from him. Not often - there isn't a whole lot of Ozziness going on around here. Until I started blogging.

I have been exposed not only to a new culture of food, language, and humor, but my husband's stories. Stories that I might not have learned if not for this tribe. Combined with the friendship of some great ladies, I am blessed.

I didn't see it coming. I never imagined how blogging would change my life. I am very grateful that it has allowed me to find so many people who have enriched my life beyond measure on both sides of the Pacific Ocean.

5 Comments:

Blogger metal and knit said...

Its great that there are friends out there to surprise you and spoi you

8/08/2006 1:35 AM  
Blogger Ruby Girl said...

And isn't it great the way that these little nice things turn up just when we need them.

8/09/2006 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww shucks Jae - we are happy to have you along for the ride! Thanks for being such a great part of our Humble Tribe

8/10/2006 8:30 PM  
Blogger knitabulous said...

It's true, the blogging has effects where you least expect it. BTW, when we speak of the tribe, your participation in particular makes it really great, so it's you who should be thanked, not us colonists.

What would be really really good is if your husband decided to take you to Sydney to experience the places of his stories - then we could meet in real life.

Wouldn't that be a very cool chapter in the story of friendships forged in living rooms ten thousand miles apart?

8/13/2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger the stripey tiger said...

Hey Jae, I agree blogging helps build a truly global community! I hope you come and visit us in Australia one day too!! :-) Sharon. Ps I just signed up for ISE three - Did you?

8/15/2006 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home