Thursday, July 20

Worthy of Royalty

According to this source, the first purple dye was extracted from shellfish around 1900 BC and became known as "Tyrian Purple". Given that it required a huge amount of shellfish for a very tiny amount of dye, it isn't hard to understand why only the wealthy and powerful could afford it. All that changed in 1856 when William Perkin discovered how to make a synthetic purple dye. An incredible feat when you apply the knowledge that purple doesn't exist.

There is no denying that my purple colorswap partners exist. I have the goods to prove it. I was lucky enough to swap with not one but two, yes two, people this month. Dyann and Jo sent packages fit for a king queen.

Dyann's had an incredible odor coming from the box even before it was opened. A wonderful smell, mind you - lavender soap. She also sent along a skein of Frog Tree Alpaca, Idena Mohair Lux, and an anonymous tweedy dk weight blend. I almost swooned from the wonderful fiber haul. But the royal treatment didn't stop there. There was also a raspberry chocolate bar (not shown because it was recovering from heat exhaustion in the refridgerator - hee hee), raspberry tea, a button, a post it note pad that gives a great reason to eat chocolate, a crocheted purse, and stitch markers! Dyann, thank you so much for a great purple experience. It is a wonderful package that you put together for me!


Jo's package came with smells too. She had included two candles - lilac and lemon-lavender scented. I am saving the Indian Eggplant dish, only because my husband wanted to cook it right away. I never said I was nice all the time. ;) She sent along some JaggerSpun Zephyr and Crystal Palace Kid Merino which is destined for lace greatness. There is also a magnetic note pad, a crochet hook, a kitty picture frame, and some wild berry tea. Not shown in this picture is a package of grape gummy candy from Japan. I don't think I've mentioned it, so she couldn't have guessed. I work for a company that is partly owned by a Japanese organization. I was able to get a great translation of the packaging. Jo, you (and Willow) know how to do purple right. Thank you so much for the great package!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have had a great yarn haulage this week - Gold Sable member ;)

7/20/2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger Mylerna said...

I need to get in one of these color swaps - they seem so neat!

7/20/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I love the ticker counting down until Stitches. Love the purple package.

7/22/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Spinner said...

WOW!Gorgeous yarn haul - you must be extra glad that purple exists!

7/23/2006 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home