Thursday, July 6

Are You a Knitter?

Recently I had a conversation with a friend that went something like this -

Friend: "Oh, I'm not a knitter. I just knit blankets. YOU are a knitter."
Me: "Why am I a knitter and not you? What's the difference?"
Friend: "I know how to knit, but I do it to keep busy. For you, it's a passion."

Is she right? Is being a knitter more than understanding how two sticks and some yarn make fabric? How does one distinguish between "a knitter" and "a person who knits"?

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition defines the word knit as a verb. Knitter doesn't even rate it's own entry. It's merely tacked on to the end of knit as a noun. Obviously then, according to this dictionary a knitter is one who knits.

KNIT: verb - 1. To make (a fabric or garment) by intertwining yarn or thread in a series of connected loops either by hand, with knitting needles, or on a machine. 2. To form (yarn or thread) into fabric by intertwining. 3. To join closely; unite securely. 4. To draw (the brows) together in wrinkles; furrow

I don't think that explains the whole story (although the furrowing of brows is often witnessed around here while knitting a difficult piece). I know of several people who rub two sticks together to generate a scarf once every few years. However, I'm not sure I, or they, would say they are knitters. Surely, to be a knitter you would practice the craft more often than once in a blue moon.

The definition of a seamstress includes payment for sewing. Is this the critical difference? If payment for your craft is the necessary action to move one from a person who knits to knitter, than I don't personally know a single knitter - including myself.

I wouldn't define a knitter by talent either. I've met some knitters who make the most beautiful lace - by accident. Frequently. No amount of instruction in the world could help them. Still, I think of them as knitters.

Perhaps, my friend isn't that far from the truth. Passion is the key. Passion is defined as a powerful emotion and boundless enthusiasm. Every knitter I know certainly has that. Some may display their love of knitting quietly or privately, but always passionately.

Ever see two strangers bump into each other at the LYS or better yet in public, like the grocery store? Two strangers who are knitters? They go from being complete unknown random persons to best of friends in less than 60 seconds. Their zeal for pointy sticks and wool eliminates all social barriers - regardless of politics, religion, or any other bias.

Is it true that passion for the craft is the invisible line that divides knitters from those who knit?

Oh, and because I don't have anyone to wrestle me to the ground until I come to my senses and finish a few projects I thought this looked like fun.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right. It is passion that makes the difference in anything. I did some art lessons, but I am no artist, I have no passion for it, couldn't care less!! You are right about the meeting a knitter and having instant rapport though!!!!!

7/06/2006 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting point Miss J - well put. I do housework but am not a cleaner (har har)

7/07/2006 3:06 AM  
Blogger Mylerna said...

I loved this post...

7/07/2006 8:31 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

;)
and I would take exception to the definition of a seamstress as one who takes pay. I know many accomplished seamstresses who've never been paid for their work.
I'd afree, passion has to enter into the equation.
and, are you looking for someone to wrestle you to the ground? Are you nuts? (asks she who must be nuttier than a fruitcake)
How's the Lace Partner coming along?

7/09/2006 8:47 AM  
Blogger chanceofbooks said...

I loved this post. I think that a knitter is a state of mind--the passion thing is big as is the willingness to grow. I know how to crochet, but I'm not a crocheter/hooker :), I can paint, but I'm not a painter. I took painting lessons longer than I've been knitting--yet is the passion that makes me say unequiviocally that I am a knitter.

9/05/2006 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Harlot distinguishes between the years she was a knitter and the subsequent years when she was a Knitter. Somehow I know exactly what she and you mean by your distinctions. I was a knitter for for 40 years but now I'm a Knitter.

9/06/2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I've popped on over from Yarnival!

I just thought I'd mention that I have been paid for my knitting. In cash dollars. I've knit for people at work and do not undersell my work.

Which is not to say that if you aren't paid, you're not a Knitter. I just wanted to mention that it is possible to be a paid Knitter.

9/07/2006 6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you're paid to knit that makes you a knittress.

9/07/2006 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home