Monday, June 19

A Father's Love

You know your father loves you when you ask for a simple storage unit and he builds a custom stash cabinet. This weekend my parents arrived for a variety of reasons, Father's Day among them. He brought this beautiful piece of furniture as well.


I had been using crates to hold my stash. However, single skeins would get lost in the back and become forgotten. Also, my crates were fairly tall, so balls of yarn would fall over when stacked. All right, I'll be honest. There was no stacking or orderly piles of yarn to be found anywhere.

I knew there had to be a better way to store my yarn. Searching far and near yielded nothing that fit my needs and my decorating tastes. I needed shelves that were only as deep as a skein of alpaca lace and as tall as three balls of Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran. I wanted it to be wood. Dad to the rescue.


I outlined my thoughts. He said he would see what he could do. I was envisioning something square, wood, set with a few shallow shelves, and maybe Plexiglas doors to minimize the dust. I was thinking simple and utilitarian. What he made for me was so much more. Removable oak shelves in perfect dimensions, stained a beautiful cherry color, and glass doors. That's right- glass doors! As a bonus there is plenty of unused space, so I obviously need more yarn. :)

Thanks Dad! I couldn't have a better father than you. You gave me exactly what you knew I didn't know I wanted. I love you too.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I am jealous!

6/19/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Wish I could borrow your dad...sigh...

6/19/2006 1:10 PM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

What a beautiful yarn cabinet. Your Dad is so talented. I'm so jealous.

6/19/2006 3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous cabinet! Your father did a wonderful job building it. Hmm . . . I'll have to put "yarn cabinet" on my furniture list.

6/19/2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Mylerna said...

wow...I want one :)

6/19/2006 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta love a crafty dad! I've got one of them too! That is one fine yarn cabinet!~ does he take international orders?

6/19/2006 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful!! What a lovely dad and you are sooo lucky!! What a shame there is so much room still to fill!!!

6/19/2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger metal and knit said...

Gee it looks like your own personal yarn store. It is gorgeous i want somtething like that next

6/20/2006 7:17 AM  
Blogger knitabulous said...

That is the most impressive thing I've seen on the blogs for a long time. Your yarn stash looks better than most yarn shop displays!

I so totally want your dad to visit me.

6/20/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger amysue said...

I'm speechless with admiration and envy. What a wonderful stash storage (and enabling) device. The one bane in my existence is that I have no one in my life this handy. Lucky you! What a wonderful Dad.

6/21/2006 6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is absolutely amazing! You are a lucky gal.

6/21/2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

ohhh, will he consider adopting?
beautiful yarn storage unit. Beautiful piece of furniture.

6/22/2006 6:57 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

You lucky duck!

Wow... my dad is a carpenter - I wish he could make me something like that... unfortunately, he lives on the other coast in another country...

Nice to meet you - I'm your July Colorswap partner :)

Jo

6/22/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Ruby Girl said...

That is a special thing your dad did for you, it is so nice having nice dads. That cabinet is awesome, and it looks better than what you see in some (most)yarn stores.

6/22/2006 6:43 PM  
Blogger Cece said...

Wow! That is awesome.

And yes, you do need more yarn. Der.

6/23/2006 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home