Monday, May 29

Sockless in the Suburbs

I do not own a pair of hand knit socks. I suppose that is because for the past seven years of my knitting career, I've concentrated on scarves and hats for my portable projects.

This year, though, has an added sense of adventure. I've tried lace for the first time and many times since. I've completed my first set of socks and moved right on to a second pair. I have even managed to avoid second sock syndrome or SSS.

I have decided that since I don't own a pair of hand knit socks, that I should hire someone to knit a pair for me knit myself a set. I therefore have promptly cast on for the potato, pomegranate, pomatomus socks. I have subsequently frogged said popover, hippopotamus pomatomus socks. They are too big and the colors are pooling.

I'm not against pooling. In fact, I usually prefer it. But, see the skein's varied goodness? That is what I want in a pair of socks knit up with this colorway of Koigu. It wasn't happening. The blues and greens were keeping to themselves and ostracizing the reds, pinks and yellows. Or maybe it was the other way around.

I could move down a size from US1's to US0's. That would certainly make the sock smaller and possibly force the colors to be more social with each other. However, zeros might not be small enough. The sock was huge, almost hippopotamus sized, on my foot. I am slowly reconciling myself to the knowledge that this yarn is not meant to become the possum, tomato, pomatomus socks.

Emma tells me she is knitting Crusoe socks. I think I'll give those a try. That pattern would fit right in with the adventurous theme that is prevailing this year.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Socks are fun to knit. I'm glad you tried your hand at some, even thought they were subsequently frogged.

5/29/2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Jae, I like the Crusoe socks. Maybe you will have better luck with those than the first pair. I'll let you know how well I do on my first pair!

5/29/2006 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUCH an annoying name - I am sure the designer did it to cause trouble to bloggers that wanted to mention it. It is a "piquant" knit which ever way you do it (Toe up or Cuff Down)....

5/29/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger Stickchicky said...

We've got some weird sock connection going on...I cast on the pomatomus socks myself on Sunday. I'm using Wildfoote in wine and black colourway, and they are turning out a little small?? I am using US 0's. They should fit though, with a little stretch. I guess it will just show off the pattern better. Good luck with the crusoe's I hopr they go better for you.

5/30/2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Hee, hee. I frogged my Koigu Crusoe sock and turned it into a Jaywalker. I'm knitting them as a gift and I don't have the recipient's foot here to go by, and the Crusoe is an exceedingly tight pattern.

But making them for yourself, it'll work out fine and be beautiful. Good luck!

5/30/2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Get a digital gram scale and never worry about having enough yarn again!

5/30/2006 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that's true about the difital scales, I have green scales (of course) and I use them to find the mass of wool a lot!! Very sad about the Hippo sock , I am on sock number too and luckily my colours are going OK. The Crusoe sock looks great - You want to knit it on a Friday!!!!

5/31/2006 2:55 AM  
Blogger Shan said...

Heheh - all of your 'strikes' cracked me up! Good luck!

5/31/2006 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too knit my first pair of socks this year. However, I see to have lost my camera cable and haven't yet managed to upload them. Further, I neglected to mention that it took, ummm like 4 months to finally get around to the 2nd sock.

6/08/2006 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home