Friday, June 30

MUKBEL

I have little fear of SABLE (Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy). My bank balance, mortgage payment, and the desire for regular meals will prevent this syndrome from developing. I have empty cubby holes to prove it. Besides, the fear my husband has on my behalf is great enough to eliminate the need for extra fear from me.

However, MUKBEL* (MUst Knit Before End of Life) is becoming a real problem. Until a few months ago, I was blissfully unaware of all the wonderful, creative designs that existed somewhere other than my small corner of the world. I had stumbled past Knitty more than once without really understanding it's full potential. I thought Magknits was the name of, well, honestly, it had gone in one ear and immediately out the other without any understanding what so ever. Mostly, I would thumb through the pages of IK or Vogue Knitting. Maybe, one or two items would catch my eye. Being distracted once every three months kept my list of must knits to a manageable size.

All that changed when I discovered blogging. I don't know how I managed to comprehend blogging but not Knitty and Magknits. With every virtual visit with my ever growing circle of blogging friends my list inevitablyly increases. Recently the MUKBEL list has seen the addition of Calle, Estonian Lullaby Blanket, Kiri, Liesel, and the Shetland Tea Shawl. As a result, my list of must knits is growing faster than I can knit them off the needles. I refuse to acknowledge that I might avoid this problem by finishing something in the same year I start. Sometimes ignorance is a choice.

I thought I would return the favor. If you are looking for some inspiration, may you find it here. If you find your list growing too, don't blame me. The MUKBEL made me do it.

SOCKS
Pomatomus - Knitty Winter 05
Yukon Leaves - woolandwood
Cherry Blossom Socks - Sivia Harding
Cable Rib Socks - Interweave Knits Spring 05
Embossed Leaves Socks - Interweave Knits Winter 05
Waving Lace Socks - Interweave Knits Spring 04
River Rapid Socks - Sockbug (blog)
Crooked Cable Socks - Sockbug (blog)

SWEATERS / TANKS / SHRUGS
Calle - Magknits Apr 06
Tubey - Knitty Winter 05
Crafster Circular Shrug - Momcast (Blog)
Blackberry - Knitty Fall 05
Durrow - Magknits Nov 05
I Do - Knitty Spring 05
Cleo - Knitty Summer 03
Lacey - Knitty Fall 05
Krista Tee - White Lies Designs
Madeline Jacket - White Lies Designs
Cambridge Jacket - Interweave Knits Summer 06
Bias Corset - Interweave Knits Summer 06
Sunrise Circle Jacket - Interweave Knits Spring 06
Miss Mistletoe - Vogue Holiday 06
Eyelet Pullover - Vogue Fall 05
Twisted Float Shrug - Vogue Fall 05
Hooded Pullover - Vogue Spring/Summer 05
Zippered Jacket - Vogue Winter 04/05
Seed Stitch Jacket - Vogue Winter 04/05
Bi-color Cables - Interweave Knits Winter 05
Simply Marilyn - Interweave Knits Spring 04
Corset Sweater - Interweave Knits Spring 03

SCARVES / CAPLETS / NECKWARE
Kureopatora - String or Nothing (Blog)
Flared Lace Smoke Ring - Heartstrings Fiberarts
Thrummed Moebius - Fleece Artist
Shortrow Ribs Scarf - Magknits
Multidirectional Scarf - Magknits Sep 05
Backyard Leaves - Scarf Style
Trellis Scarf - Interweave Knits Spring 06

SHAWLS / STOLES
Estonian Lullaby Blanket - Fibertrends
Ethereal Fichu - Heartstrings Fiberarts
Peacock Feathers Shawl - Fiddlesticks Knitting
Clapotis - Knitty Fall 04
Kiri - alltangledup (PDF)
Icarus - Interweave Knits
Falling Snow Shawl - my own design
Rona Lace Shawl - Knit Picks
Primula - First Book of Modern Lace Knitting
Sunray - First Book of Modern Lace Knitting
Diamond Fantasy Shawl - Sivia Harding
Lady Eleanor Entralac Stole - Scarf Style
Rectangular Shawl - Knitpicks

HATS
Odessa - Magknits Feb 06
Lace Cap - Fibertrends

OTHER
Butterfly - Rowan 37
Felted Hedgehog - Fibertrends
Wrought Iron Fence - Knitabulous. If you figure out how to knit this before she does, I'm sure she would gladly appreciate the help.
Ultimate Needle Bag - Fleece Artist

* I also refer to this as PIMBLE (Projects In Mind Beyond Life Expectancy) or Tomknitok (Too Many Knits to Knit)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem: too many patterns to lust after/too little yarn or time! I haven't posted my list, but I do have an extensive bookmark system to keep track of all the patterns.

6/30/2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger metal and knit said...

mmm big problem

7/01/2006 4:57 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

More hands would be the solution, I think! Every time I look at a new book or magazine I see something else to make, there's just not enough time. I try not to keep track of the projects I like on purpose- I think I'd get depressed looking at a massive to do list!

7/01/2006 7:24 AM  
Blogger Shan said...

Wow, wow, wow! I'm exhausted just reading it - heh.

7/02/2006 6:20 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

love your new acronyms
I just got my info packet for stitches - did you get yours yet?
(doing the happy dance)
want another look-see at Fiddlesticks? They have a newer pattern there that I am lusting after, but figure I ought to get another lace project or two under my belt first - its the paisley stole. I'm looking for the shetland lace you mentioned - where?

7/02/2006 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home