Friday, November 17

From A to Anticlimactic

It isn't until one has to photograph a pale beige blanket, that one discovers that one lives in a pale beige house, with pale beige carpet, pale beige couches, pale beige bed quilts and - for a little variety - a bright white bedspread.

Thus, my electric piano will have to do as a posing table for the recently finished alphabet blanket. It was either that or the English style public phone booth turned cabinet. For a brief moment I considered the phone cabinet. After all, the bright red paint would be a striking contrast to pale beige. Then I realized I would have to a) lay it on it's side, b) empty it of it's considerable contents first and c) come up with a whole lot of liquor so the hubby does not notice a whopper of a tale about why turning furniture 90 degrees out of whack is a perfectly reasonable thing to do for a blogger photo shoot.

The last stitch was casted off Sunday. Ends were woven in and the whole thing unceremoniously dumped in the wash tub for a soak on Monday. By late evening, after very little cussing and fussing, every point was unenthusiastically pinned out. Dry by Wednesday, the blanket was unpinned and hauled all over southern Michigan taken to work and knit group for it's public debut.

There was the mad rush to finish by the first due date in mid October. Once that passed, the second finish line seemed . . . ho hum. The knitting seemed never ending. When Monday required a new project for my attention, I was at a loss. It felt surreal to be freed from the alphabet depths. Don't worry. It quickly passed - more on that in future posts.

This blanket is intended for my first niecephew who is due to arrive early December. It will be gifted next week when I visit my brother for deep fried turkey day. While I may feel ambivalent about this whole lettered affair, I know that it will be received with much oohing, aahing, and general excitement.

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Needles: Addi Turbo US3 and US2 for the points
Pattern: Alphabet Blanket by Debbie Bliss
Time: Started, July 2005 - Finished, 13 Nov 2006


The End

10 Comments:

Blogger DeeAnn said...

I'd of had to knit the blanket red ;)

Looks really beautiful and when you see your niecephew dragging it around it will inspire you yet again. What a loving gift :)

11/17/2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The blanket looks great! I'm sure it will be well appreciated. Just keep it away from the turkey fryer!

11/17/2006 10:18 PM  
Blogger aija said...

I love it! Very very cool gift.

11/17/2006 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Endurance knitting to be sure!! It looks beautiful!! You need a medal!! Lucky niecephew!!

11/18/2006 2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its wonderful!

11/18/2006 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely amazing. I am a fairly new knitter but am totally lusting over Debbie Bliss's books. This is the first time I have seen this though, and I am blown away. Stunning.

11/19/2006 4:36 AM  
Blogger metal and knit said...

I love it but it takes alot dedication to do a shawl like that.

11/19/2006 5:49 AM  
Blogger AR said...

My bloglines thing didn't tell me about your new posts!
Your blanket is beautiful. The lucky baby is going to love it forever!

11/21/2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

The blanket is quite an accomplishment. I can totally relate to your sense of freedom. I too, have recently finished a project that held me captive, on and off, for a long time.

I'm cutting wild with some crazy colors.

11/28/2006 9:40 AM  
Blogger StudioBlue said...

Wow! The blanket looks fabulous! What a great auntie you are going to be!

11/28/2006 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home