Sunday, November 19

Freedom

Since casting off the alphabet blanket, the creative flood gates have opened. In my effort to finish by the second mother threatening self-imposed deadline, I have ignored the voices in my head. Don't pretend you don't hear voices, too. They are usually disguised as the alpaca laceweight, corriedale roving, or worsted tweed in the back of your stash.

I've envisioned lace sweaters, cabled sweaters, lace shawls, socks, and a myriad of other fabulous knits. Some from recently received magazines, some from the depths of my creativity. But all of them were ruthlessly shoved aside, cruelly locked away, and rudely ignored to finish the current knit on the needles.

Since Tuesday, there has been figuring, calculating, and lots of knitting. I've completed a whole right front of a cardigan for my mother. The math came pretty easily since no waist shaping was involved. Of course, I'm slightly concerned that the math was too easy. The knitting gods may be waiting to knock my smug self down a peg when I fit it to my mother a few days forth from now.


I suspect that my creativity had been held prisoner for so long that it may have emerged slightly cracked and demented. In the past, I have often and loudly proclaimed I do not knit Fair Isle, Intarsia, or anything else that remotely resembles colorwork. Thus, where the desperate need to swatch for a fair isle children's mitten pattern came from I cannot tell.

Let this be a lesson. Depriving one's creativity of fresh air can cause one to knit things otherwise avoided. Already the novelty has begun to wear off and sanity is slowing returning.

I still have a few more ideas bubbling in my head, but I'm starting to feel the pull of the peacock shawl. It, too, has been long neglected. One more section needs to be swatched and designed. Then no further obstacles stand between me and completion.

Aaaah, freedom to knit. Anything. Everything. It feels so good.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's how I felt when the two baby girl shrugs were finished. Ahh, 2 birthday gifts down. Freedom to knit a grown up item. So of course, I cast on for a baby sweater for my son. Why do I do these things to myself?

11/19/2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger Stickchicky said...

Hi Jae, I love your workbook. mine looks slightly similar, but your "figure/model" is much better.
I drew mine in my incredibly bad way and slap sweater patterns on her. I'm sorry for the lack of e-mail lately..looks like the book is moving slower than planned so no sweat about the knit. I'll let you know when i really need it.

11/20/2006 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We both know you can't ignore the pull of the voices....they speak to us....they call to us.....ignore them at your peril!

11/21/2006 6:09 AM  
Blogger AR said...

The voices I hear are of UFOs crying to be done. They are really loud when I go ahead and start other things anyway.
Mmmm-Your knitting pics look so pretty!

ps thanks for the comment on our painting.

11/21/2006 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray, I found your blog!!!! (Ok, I'm a little slow.) I put in a vote for the peacock shawl too!!!

11/21/2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I like your design notebook. I do hope the peacock shawl draws you back. What you've done so far is amazingly beautiful, and I can't wait to see how you finish it!

11/22/2006 2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so impressed. I have been knitting for years and have never attempted an original patter. I will check back often to see your progress. I look at your design and say, "Should be beautiful'.

11/24/2006 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home