Sunday, August 20

Light Housecleaning

During my time at Stitches, one topic of conversation was a frequent visitor among my friends and I. Knitting what you love, knitting what you will use or wear, and not knitting what you impulsively fell in lust love with only to quickly lose the excitement days later. I came home from Chicago filled with a new determination to do a little housecleaning, of my yarn stash that is. Some of my wips are going to the frog pond, some are declaring a mulligan, and some will be moved to the top of my must finish soon list.

The mystery stole is coming off my needles. The wonderfully charted pattern kept the momentum going for a few weeks. Slowly reality set in, however. I do not like the yarn and needle size I choose for the pattern. It will be less of a stole and more of a ridiculously long, skinny scarf. Most certainly not the image I had in mind when I casted on. Now that some weeks have passed, I am on the fence about finding a new yarn to start again.

The lace camisole is being frogged. Atleast as frogged as kidsilk haze will allow. I was looking for a pattern that used kidsilk haze and this one caught my eye. I casted on before common sense could voice an opinion. It is not a style of garment that looks good on me. Should I continue, it will become one more item I knit and never wear.

The Silkroad Aran Cable sweater is in need of a do over. Sometimes I am too smart for my own good. One of the classes I attended, discussed how important it is to know your style. As it turns out, I have two. The fitted drapey style I tend to feel best in for work and the casual style I prefer for weekends. I also learned in this class that most sweaters as written are about one to three inches too long for my height.

The length issue would have required that I rip back two and a half inches from the casted off edge of the finished back piece. However, I tried to rewrite the pattern to combine the two styles. In hindsight, not one of my better ideas. Although, my mother will be the first to tell you it isn't my worst. I suppose I can take some comfort in that. Thus, I need to rip it back to the first three inches and start over from there.

The two remaining sweaters, I have placed a self-imposed deadline of thanksgiving. If I haven't finished them by then, they too will join the frog pond.

Life is too short to knit an unloved item.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you brave woman you. i don't know if i could do that, especially with kidsilk haze.

8/20/2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

condolensces and kudos.
now, you've got to go check your links as none of them are working.

8/20/2006 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh deep breaths and then...unravel!! You are right. It is a hard task, but has to be done!! But isn't it boogelly???!!!

8/20/2006 6:49 PM  
Blogger the stripey tiger said...

Noooo you are being too hard on yourself!! They'll get knit one day and if not well c'est la vie! :-)

ps I read somewhere that if you put KSH in the freezer for a while (presumably enclosed in something waterproof) it becomes easier to frog. I'm not sure if that is apocryphal.

8/21/2006 5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jees that stripey tiger and her big words....I was just going to say that you and Marjie have inspired my to check my WIP's too. As you so rightly say at the top of your blog....life's too short)

8/21/2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger StudioBlue said...

I'm inspired! and jealous -- sounds like Stitches was great!

8/21/2006 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home