Monday, February 13

My Favorite Space

The BYOB sock and I have come to an understanding. It has agreed to after school tutoring. I agreed to finish the toe. Having never done the Kitchner stitch before, it took me three tries to get the tension right. But the sock is finished! My very first sock, it's enough to bring tears of joy to my eyes. Since it is a secret knit I can't show a picture. A shame because it's a darn cute sock!

I have also finished the BYOB scarf, but it is still intransit. Thus no picture yet.

Since I have nothing to really post about, I'm going to try obvious distraction by doing the meme I saw over at Sandy's.
Knitting Space Meme:

My first knitting space is the family room couch.

This is where knitting and television are combined. My husband doesn't like clutter and is always putting away my knitting clearing off the coffee table. He hasn't been home yet so this is a pre-husband view of the space.

However, this is my favorite knitting space. It combines my two great loves - knitting and reading.

The desk at the right was built by my grandfather and stores sentimental knick-knacks, my needles, notions, and fabric for sewing. The sheep is a recent Christmas gift from my husband. The ribbons hanging from the photos are attached to a curtain rod. I've haven't found the time to sew them up. Beneath them are built in bookcases crammed with all genres of reading material. The dressmaker's dummy behind the lamp holds my longest and forever remaining unfinished object. It's one of my first sweaters, before I understood the meaning of "ease". It is way too small for me and gauge was difficult to maintain - so I have no plans to finish it. If someone out there sees fit to do so or would like to give the yarn a new purpose let me know. I'd gladly donate it to a loving home. The yarn is Phildar Cabotage. It's a cotton acrylic blend that I purchased in Chateauraux, France. Behind the door, to the right of the photo is a closet that we converted to hold a small desk and my sewing machine.

From the chaise I can see my stash.
The bin on the left holds my larger works in progress. The bin on the right holds my non-wool left overs. There is a third bin just out of the picture to the right that holds my wool left overs. My father is making a shallow shelving unit with clear doors to hold the stash. I like the crates but they are so deep that the one or two skein stashes get lost to the back and forgotten about. And let's face it, yarn isn't exactly stack friendly. Since Caesar treats this as his toy room, I'm always finding a stray ball that has been dislodged from it's place.

I am tagging anyone who wants to show off their space. Leave a comment and we'll all come over for a visit.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love pics too :) Man, that's alot of yarn - I love it. My kitties would go insane.

Can't wait till you know who I am :) tee hee

Your Pal

2/13/2006 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing the sock! And that's quite a stash you have! It would be nice to display my yarn on shelves, but I think at least one cat would try to chew on nay exposed ends...

2/13/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

Congrats on the two FO's! When do we get to see the sock? I've never done Kitchener stitch either.
Thanks for sharing your knitting space. I'm afraid if my stash were out if full view my dh would have heart failure and I would have anxiety attacks at the sheer volume of unfinished work.

2/15/2006 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home