Monday, February 20

Dedicated Knitting

Yesterday I awoke with an incredible purpose and a single-minded focus worthy of a knit olympian. I was on a mission to complete the BYOB sock. There was no distraction large enough, no incentive great enough to deter me from my goal. I wasn't going to be swayed. I was thinking sock, sock, sock all the way.

Yarn: Rowan Calmer, 1+ skein
Pattern: Shedir - Fall 04 Knitty.com
Time: 27 Dec 05 - 19 Feb 06
Notes: Maybe it's operator error, but the yarn had a tendency to split. A. Lot. My gauge was slightly off so that would explain why I had to dip into the second ball. Overall, I loved the pattern and had fun knitting it up.

Even though I turned out a hat instead of a sock, I liked the sense of accomplishment I derived from purposeful finishing. It is a rare occasion that I remain focused on one project for an extended time. More often I knit on three, four projects, and sometimes more in a day. As a result I will knit for many days and have little to show for it. Too often I arrive at the end haphazardly without intent because of my lack of focus or worse never reach the end at all. The feeling of achieving a goal because of deliberate action was liberating.

In an effort to sustain this new found sense of purpose, I've reorganized my sidebar. To avoid the boredom or frustration that can ensue from monogamous knitting, I won't limit myself to single purpose knitting from cast on to bind off. I will however strive to dedicate my knitting to fewer projects at a time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From sock to hat...interesting. One goes on one end and one the other :) tee hee. It looks great!

Your Pal

2/20/2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

wow - did you really clear off all your needles?
Love the Shedir, I'm thinking about that for a chemo cap this week for a woman I'll see Friday again at the treatment facility. She's going through chemo for the 3rd time in 6 years, has 5 children, and is really upset this time about losing her hair - worse than last time she said. anyway, I digress,
your sidebar looks so....empty.
and LOL, it's 06 Jae!

2/22/2006 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! Gold medal to Jae

2/22/2006 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home