Monday, March 20

Adding A Little Color

Everyone had their task. Sis-in-Law was in charge of documenting the mess fun. I ran the microwave and the steam pot on the stove. Niece had the hardest job of all - deciding color combos for the stripes, solid, or variegated effects she wanted.



It's a good thing my husband brought all this corning ware into our marriage. It came in handy for the soaking and the dyeing. Especially this particular dish with a separator for striped yarn.

Her hands were soooo red! I kept thinking her mom would never let her visit again.


Mixing up a new batch for more stripey colored yarn.


She wanted to try variegated dyeing. It was almost like dyeing Easter eggs, if one used a turkey baster to dye eggs.


Hanging the skeins to dry. My very own yarn chandelier. I'm sure by this time next year, it will be all the rage.


The final product - Orange/Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade, Grape Illusion (I know it's more red-orange than purple, but that must be the illusion part), Lemonade/Soarin Strawberry Lemonade, Variegated Lemonade/Orange/Strawberry/Grape/Blue Raspberry/Lemon-Lime, and Grape/Lemon-Lime.

We didn't use the Arctic Green Apple to dye with but it made for good thirst quenching. I think it would have made a pale bright green and I still have a few packs left for future adventures.

I haven't had this much fun making a mess! We didn't really follow the rules since we weren't aiming for a specific color. It was more about the process. However, we should have listened to the part about wearing gloves. My nails are a nice grape color with a hint of strawberry.

Niece said she plans on using these skeins to knit scarves for her friends and herself. Her grandmother taught her to knit a few months ago and she has become quite the knit-addict. So I'm off to wind them into cakes for her to use.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much fun.

Your pal

3/20/2006 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great Jae and I love the Yarn Chandelier

3/22/2006 5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Kool-Aid dyeing fun!?! Your yarn turned out beautiful. The colors are super saturated and yummy. Great job!

3/29/2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger Stickchicky said...

That is so funny! I kool-aid dyed with my kiddos last night!. We did Ice blue, lemon lime and tropical punch. Yours turned out much nicer than mine though. I'll have to post a pic on my blog once the utopia of the package you sent me wears off.

4/07/2006 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home